| June 11, 2019 03:47 PM
President Trump is questioning his decision to have Patrick Shanahan serve as secretary of defense, according to a new report.
Trump pressed at least three people for their thoughts on Shanahan and whether there were any possibilities for the position last week during his trip to Normandy to remember the 75th anniversary of D-Day, four sources familiar with the situation told NBC News.
Army Secretary Mark Esper’s name was floated as a potential nominee, and was weighed as a possible candidate in the past. It’s unclear why Trump is thinking about other candidates to replace Jim Mattis, who resigned as secretary of defense in December.
“He has no champion,” a person close to Trump said about Shanahan. “No one is fighting for him.”
Trump announced he planned to nominate Shanahan for the position on May 9, but the nomination has not formally headed to the Senate.
Even so, Trump claimed Tuesday he already nominated Shanahan weeks ago and now Shanahan must “go through the process.”
Get real time updates directly on your device, subscribe now.